Posted to alt.home.repair
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that justwouldn't seal after the final bead?

On 7/9/19 4:09 am, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Wed, 04 Sep 2019 21:55:35 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

Worked good on old bias tires - not so good on belted and radial tires

What's interesting that used to work fine on belted tires was a static
balance in the olden days.

No it didn't. What used to be a saving grace was the narrow large
diameter tyres, that and the high friction inherent in king pin type
suspension systems. Suspension design also played a huge role in
precipitating the wheel shimmy that was initiated by out of balance
wheels. The first English Fords (Consuls, Zephyrs and Zodiacs) were
really bad on dynamic wheel balance exacerbated by their small 13"
wheels. They didn't have the bugs ironed out of the McPherson Strut at
that time.

This is an interesting video using the dynamic balance machine, where, at
least on the first tire, they got perfect balance simply by aligning the
yellow dot to the valve stem like you suggested a while ago I do.
https://youtu.be/tmMZZEJMAmo?t=375

Some day I'll take my statically balanced tires to Costo for their $5
balance per tire - but - so far - I haven't needed to do dynamic balance
since the static balance doesn't result in noticeable vibration at speed.

My plan is to wait until I have an unbalanced tire at speed, and then I can
have all four checked for $20 in total, where it would be interesting to
see how much difference there is between static and dynamic balancing.

Static balancing can, at best, reduce dynamic unbalance by 50%. That
*may* be sufficient to prevent initiation of steering shimmy - or it may
not. Luck of the draw.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)