Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that justwouldn't seal after the final bead?

On 7/9/19 3:30 am, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 16:27:19 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson wrote:

No mention in that article of using a flammable liquid or vapor to
seat the bead explosively. Plenty of stories about exploding tires on
split rims from improper technique which have nothing to do with fire.

This is why large truck tires on split rims are inflated in safety
cages.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Safety_Alerts...it_Rim_Wheels/

Thank you for adding value to this discussion, as did Clare, and Amuzi,
where I was unfamiliar with this "split rim" concept until I read the
article you kindly referenced.

Apparently, from the safety alert at the bottom of your reference, these
"split rim" mountings are used mainly for LARGE commercial tires, is that
right?
https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Safety_Alerts/2015/Large_Tyre_Inflation_Alert/

If so, I wonder what's different about large commercial tires?
o Obviously size is one thing - which could mean more energy
o The pressure per unit area "might" also be different
o Maybe mounting needs determined the reason for the split ring?

I don't know yet ... so I simply ask ... WHY ... they bother with split
rims for these huge commercial tires?

They are *huge*, to large and inflexible to work by hand. They also have
a *flat base rim* and not the well base rim you would be familiar with.
Think how well you would fare changing a tyre without that well in the rim.

Is it mounting considerations?
Or some other reason that they use split rims for such huge tires?

Yes and more.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)