Posted to alt.home.repair
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that justwouldn't seal after the final bead?

On 7/9/19 2:41 am, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 14:16:40 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 6/9/19 12:57 am, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 12:36:27 +1000, Xeno wrote:

Yes to the first.
Tyre strap for the second.
One strap only around the middle of the tyre.

Hi Xeno,

Thanks for the vote on the tire straps, where you were instrumental in
helping me hone WHY almost all the tires on this mountain wear out on the
outside edge of the front tires before anything else!
https://i.postimg.cc/Hx2Fw0dK/mount03.jpg

On the topic of tire straps, my OP shows that I did try a 'rope' but it
broke after about only a dozen or so turns, where it wasn't doing anything
effective anyway.
https://i.postimg.cc/J4d9vdm0/mount55.jpg

In another post, ratchet straps are mentioned. They might work. I've
always used the proper tyre strap so never tried alternatives but
whatever works.

Also on the topic of ratchet straps, Clare posted a few videos of American
ingenuity at work with homemade bazooka air blasters, where both of those
videos used a strap but to no avail.

Yes, Clare's point is well made re straps and belted/steel belted
radials. The belt reduces the tread flexibility somewhat making the task
more difficult. That said, I have always managed to get tyres inflated
using the proper designed for purpose tyre strap.

This first video seems to use two ratchet straps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB95Eym98vs
And he used a block of wood UNDER the tire to hold the bottom bead.

While this video uses a steel strap which might be a tire strap?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcqKc1h7FFc

Is _that_ steel strap a "tire strap"?

Steel straps might be dangerous in case of breakage.

Had a friend recently have the issue. The first mistake he made was
retaining the valve core - bad move since you need a decent blast of
air.

Understood. About 40 tires ago (about a half dozen years ago or so), when I
first started mounting and balancing tires at home, I left the Shrader
valve in place - but now I habitually unscrew it before filling with a
simple custom air gun that I made by replacing the tip with the proper
fitting:
https://i.postimg.cc/WzZW9MvT/mount07.jpg

Second was he was using one of those cheap tyre inflaters on his
compressor that limits flow drastically.

Hmm.... I don't know what that is, but my compressor is a 220VAC 20-gallon
wheeled compressor with enough air to fill the tire if only I could seal it
without needing a helper (or two in this case, which was the first time in
two score tires that I needed a SECOND helper).

Standard tyre gauge/inflator of the type you get with cheapo compressors
and at cheapo automotive stores. Always too restrictive on air flow.

I told him to take it off and
blast it with the air hose plugged directly onto the valve.

Yup. That's EXACTLY what I do with this simple fitting.
https://i.postimg.cc/4yxSFpSp/mount57.jpg

Sometimes I rubber band the trigger so the air is always flowing.

In the case of my friend, I told him to use the air control valve on the
compressor in order to get a sufficiently large and *sudden* blast of air.

He was also
using 2 (two) tyre straps, each being over a bead. Bad move as that
forces the sidewalls inwards *away* from the beads. Just one around the
centre of the tread works perfectly and puts an outward pressure on the
bead helping to minimise air loss there.

I need to buy these tire straps... or make the bazooka Clare mentioned, but
while I have the same welding equipment everyone has, I really don't have
the skills necessary to fabricate the bazooka from scratch.

Bottom line; maximise air flow, minimise air loss.

Up until now, the one helper sufficed to push in the bead with me as I
filled the tire with air - but this set took two helpers.

I always inflate with the tyre flat on the ground. The rim should be in
roughly in the central position between tyre beads. Might need to
position the rim on a couple of pieces of wood to achieve this on some
tyres. I have sometimes found it prudent to start the bead on one side
onto the rim, usually the rear, then flip the tyre/rim over and the
downward force on the rim brings the upper bead close to, if not
touching, the upper rim. It can be a frustrating exercise sometimes but
I have never been forced to resort to extreme measures like explosive
gases.

I often found having the tire upright made it easier to inflate.
Always partly mount one bead first by hand to center the rim in thr
tire. Bouncing the tire a bit often helps get the final bead to set

Yes, that is true. Each case is different and needs assessing on its own
merits. The aim is to get each bead as close to, if not mounted on, the
rim on each side and - whatever works.

I just remembered in the last set, it was a bit difficult too, but I had
attributed it to the fact I left the tape closing the bead on during
storage for a few months.
https://i.postimg.cc/DwnjgJY3/mount08.jpg

It might simply be this set of tires is a bit "loose" which made sealing
the bead just hard enough to require a second helper.

In days of yore, I used to stretch the beads apart with a tyre spreader;

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l300...53731918_1.jpg

Not the same as the type I used but should be Ok. Just work around the
tyre spreading it apart and hope it retains some spread when released.
That used to work in the days of stiff tyre sidewalls but may be a tad
iffish in this era of limp radial sidewalls. If nothing else, it's a
handy tool for spreading tyres in order to check for damage to the inner
carcase.

Without either a tire strap or a helper, I don't think seating these
P227/75R15 light truck (SUV) tires can be easily done with just me and the
air compressor so I am going to NEED a tire strap (or that bazooka!).

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)