Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default HVAC variable speed blower?

In article ,
says...

Why the heck would you need a variable speed blower? That doesn't
even make any sense to me. I was pricing a new system until I
noticed that your only choice was a variable-speed blower unit,
which of course bumps the price up.

It is all in the game of numbers. By changing the speed of the motor as
the heating and cooling coils change the efficency numbers can be fudged
a bit. I am thinking with heat pumps you need more air flow for cooling
and less air flow for heating. Probably does not make much differnece in
the long run, especially if you figure in the cost of the motor and
controler.

---