Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that just wouldn't seal after the final bead?

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 17:30:27 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G. Holder"
wrote:

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 16:27:19 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson wrote:

No mention in that article of using a flammable liquid or vapor to
seat the bead explosively. Plenty of stories about exploding tires on
split rims from improper technique which have nothing to do with fire.

This is why large truck tires on split rims are inflated in safety
cages.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Safety_Alerts...it_Rim_Wheels/

Thank you for adding value to this discussion, as did Clare, and Amuzi,
where I was unfamiliar with this "split rim" concept until I read the
article you kindly referenced.

Apparently, from the safety alert at the bottom of your reference, these
"split rim" mountings are used mainly for LARGE commercial tires, is that
right?
https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Safety_Alerts/2015/Large_Tyre_Inflation_Alert/

If so, I wonder what's different about large commercial tires?
o Obviously size is one thing - which could mean more energy
o The pressure per unit area "might" also be different
o Maybe mounting needs determined the reason for the split ring?

I don't know yet ... so I simply ask ... WHY ... they bother with split
rims for these huge commercial tires?

Is it mounting considerations?
Or some other reason that they use split rims for such huge tires?

Ease of mounting. No need to pry heavy tire over rim bead. Just
slide the old tire off and the new one on - after prying out the split
ring - then putting it back in.

My old 1928 Chevy sedan also used a split rim - as did many OLD
vehicles. They have moved predominantly to single piece roms now -
and even TUBELESS tires!!! -even on the big rigs.