Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen G. Holder[_2_] Arlen G. Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that just wouldn't seal after the final bead?

On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 12:46:41 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

I'll bet it was a case of "hey - hold my beer and watch this!!!!"

It seems to me that in a commercial environment, workers wouldn't be
allowed to use that method since it has to be unapproved by OSHA (and they
had the bazooka clearly in the background, along with the strap).

Interestingly, I've been scanning the videos to see if most people set the
bead on or off the jig, where I wonder if putting the tire on a flat
surface helps with the explosive setting (by not allowing the air:fuel
mixture to escape out the bottom).

While I was searching for tips on setting the bead, I was amazed that this
guy, after a half dozen failed attempts, at time 114, was able to
explosively set the bead on passenger car tires that seemed to have about 4
or 5 inches of distance to cover - where I noticed he had the tire on a
pallet which allowed the air:fuel mixture to escape out the bottom before
it was ignited.
https://youtu.be/yHNDdOqdz1c?t=114

This guy put the wheel at an angle on a wooden block before exploding it
https://youtu.be/Xam5KDs5X1c?t=190
where I'm not sure WHY he put it on that wooden block.

In summary, I think the options for loose beads seems to be:
a. Use a second or third helper (to jiggle things into Goldilocks range)
b. Use a bazooka to blast in air (which seems to be what the pros use)
c. Use a bead ring of some sort (bicycle tube, garden hose, goop, whatever)

And, lastly....
d. Resort to flames. But only as a last resort which you shouldn't need.