Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen G. Holder[_2_] Arlen G. Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that just wouldn't seal after the final bead?

On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 12:52:50 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

Knowing how tightly a bead seats, I'm surprised the bicycle tube can be
pulled out so easily.

Lots of "Ruglyde" on the rimand tire bead - without it the tube gets
a big "snake-bite"

Thanks for answering that question about HOW the bicycle tire tube can be
pulled out from under the bead, where I admit I had to look up "Ruglyde".
o AGS RG18 Gal Ruglyde Lubricant
https://www.amazon.com/AGS-RG18-Gal-Ruglyde-Lubricant/dp/B000CIJUGK
o RuGlyde Tire Mounting Lubricant - Rubber Based - Balkamp
https://www.vmcchineseparts.com/products/ruglyde-tire-mounting-lubricant-rubber-based-balkamp

Another potential reason the 16 inch bicycle tire tube might be so easily
removed is that the bead might have been 'cinched', but it's not yet 'set'.

I'm not sure of the words to describe it, but there are three stages
1. When the bead isn't holding air
2. When the bead is holding air - but barely - where it still can deflate
3. When the bead is firmly holding air - even if there is no air

The fact that there is a stage in the middle is perhaps why the tire tube
can be pulled out so easily.

I really like the idea of the bicycle tire tube since it's so simple, where
I love simple tools that are effective (for example, a tire iron is a
simple, and yet effective tool, as is the schrader valve core remover).

The one tool I had thought I didn't really need was the valve removal
prybar, where removing valves isn't all that hard using normal shop tools
like a knife and pliers - but - it is kind of sort of nice to have when
installing those rubber valves - where I prefer - as you do too - the metal
bolt on valves moving forward - so there will be less of a need for that
tool.

The two tools I haven't gotten yet - but should are
o The round bumpy inside tire buffer attachment to the drill for patchplugs
o A special steel wheel weight plier tool