Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wires and cables

On 05/09/2019 12:02, Graeme wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 05/09/2019 07:43, Graeme wrote:

You might be over thinking this :-)

I think you may be right :-)

A flex is indeed a shortening of flexible cable or flexible wire, and
normally implies a stranded construction. However a 6mm^2 T&E cable is
also stranded.

Hmm.Â* Well, yes :-)

A "lead" normally implies a made up length of something with
terminations on the ends. But you would you could for example ask for
a TOSlink lead which has no electrical conductors. It would also be
fair to talk about a HDMI cable, or cord, or wire.

I'll eliminate cord, as I think of that as an Americanism meaning the
same as lead.Â* Possibly.

Indeed - although we do refer to cordless tools rather than leadless...

I've never really looked at a TOSlink cable, but doesn't it have a braid
around the optical bit?

No, its just a plastic clad plastic optical fibre. (part of the
attraction bing it introduces no electrical connection or ground loop
path between bits of equipment)

I think calling a HDMI cable a cord or wire is just ignorance or
laziness, or just general acceptance of an incorrect term.Â* The proper
term must be cable.

Since its a made up lead with terminations, then I would suggest its a
lead made from a multicore flexible cable with HDMI male connectors on
each end!

There are people who say plug when referring to a
wall socket.

Or even a plug socket.

--
Cheers,