Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme[_7_] Graeme[_7_] is offline

Default Wires and cables

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 05/09/2019 07:43, Graeme wrote:

You might be over thinking this :-)

I think you may be right :-)

A flex is indeed a shortening of flexible cable or flexible wire, and
normally implies a stranded construction. However a 6mm^2 T&E cable is
also stranded.

Hmm. Well, yes :-)

A "lead" normally implies a made up length of something with
terminations on the ends. But you would you could for example ask for a
TOSlink lead which has no electrical conductors. It would also be fair
to talk about a HDMI cable, or cord, or wire.

I'll eliminate cord, as I think of that as an Americanism meaning the
same as lead. Possibly.

I've never really looked at a TOSlink cable, but doesn't it have a braid
around the optical bit?

I think calling a HDMI cable a cord or wire is just ignorance or
laziness, or just general acceptance of an incorrect term. The proper
term must be cable. There are people who say plug when referring to a
wall socket.

--
Graeme