Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Wires and cables

On 05/09/2019 11:20, whisky-dave wrote:

The most recent problem was last week when a research student asked me for some magnet wire. Apparently this in the new name for what I've been calling enameled copper wire. I was then asked is that the same as transformer wire.

Do they still use enamel? They use lots of different coatings including
ones that turn into flux for ease of soldering. Or cotton. Or silk. Or litz.

He then asked me (looking at the label on the 35+ year old spool[1] of wire
why don't they put the diameter of the wire on the label and what does 38 swg mean.

Standard Wire Gauge. Next!

--
Max Demian