Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Wires and cables

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 5 September 2019 07:43:22 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

An ongoing thread elsewhere is discussing wires and cables, and which is
which. To me, the mains flex on a table lamp or the T&E behind the wall
are cables, both containing two, three or more wires. Correct?

But that introduces flex. Perhaps a cable containing multi strand wires
is a flex, not a cable whereas a cable containing single strand wires
really is a cable? So a telephone cable really is a cable, as is
standard T&E.

What about figure of eight profile bell wire? Two multi strand wires,
moulded together, a flex, or is flex really only an abbreviation of
flexible cable?

Non electrical multi strand cables? Are they really hawsers?

Hadn't thought about leads. A lead contains multiple wires, all multi
core (?) so a lead is the same as a flex or cable - or is a lead a cable
with connectors fitted?

Cable means something with conductors & insulation. Flex is short for
flexible cable, and describes the use of stranded conductors. So: T&E,

T&E used to have stranded conductors 3/029- 7/029 - 7/036 etc. Cable for
drawing through conduit has gone back to being stranded.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England