Tom Horne

Default electricity on my water pipes

w_tom wrote:
Posted in the paragraph that discusses earthing:

IOW if water pipe is used for earthing, then another
dedicated electrode must also be installed. But if that
other dedicated electrode is installed, then water pipe
earthing is not required. In short, the water pipe is
not sufficient for earthing.

Earthing - not bonding. Two separate functions. Bonding
was defined previously in same post. Stated quite clearly
that a water pipe must connect to breaker box safety ground:

NEC requires connection to water pipes - to remove electricity.

Tom Horne selects one paragraph out of context, then draws
an erroneous conclusion. A conclusion possible only if he
ignores the entire post or does not understand the difference
between bonding and earthing functions. Water pipe alone is
not sufficient for earthing - as posted. But water pipe must
be bonded to breaker box panel for human safety - to remove
electricity from that water pipe - as posted.

Please, Tom Horne. Before wildly jumping to conclusions on
only one paragraph, first read and comprehend the entire
post. How much reading have you done? Someone who relies
on your selective reading can come to harm. g

Earthing connection is to keep breaker box safety ground and
earth ground equipotential; not to trip circuit breaker on
wire fault. Bonding causes a circuit breaker to trip should a
wiring fault occur. Earthing and bonding are two different
functions that may or may not share same wire. Somehow Tom
Horne has confused an earthing connection with a bonding
connection. Water pipe must be bonded to breaker box so that
a wiring fault will trip circuit breaker - no earthing ground
involved. Water pipe is not sufficient as a connection to
earth ground. Previous post stated same - if entire post was
first comprehended.

Tom Horne wrote:

w_tom wrote:
Snip

IOW if water pipe is used for earthing, then another
dedicated electrode must also be installed. But if that other
dedicated electrode is installed, then water pipe earthing is
not required. In short, the water pipe is not sufficient for
earthing.

Did you write these words or not? You said that water pipe
earthing is not required and yet 250-50 says it is.
--
Tom H

Are you saying that you did not mean that "water pipe earthing is not
required." If that is true then we have no disagreement. My concern
was and continues to be that an ordinary DIYer might read your post and
take that meaning. As long as we agree that in areas that have adopted
the US NEC you must attach a conductor to an underground metal water
pipe that is sized in accordance with 250.66, is free of reversible
splices or joints, is connected within five feet of were the piping
enters the structure, and terminates on the service equipment enclosures
bonded buss bar than I don't care what we each believe the purpose is.
I just want to avoid this thread misleading someone into making a
dangerous mistake.

I would like to ask you to think about a question. In a house that has
an underground metal pipe that; serves only a yard bib used for
gardening, the underground piping is forty feet long, and it changes
over to CPVC (plastic) piping just inside the basement wall; do you
connect any conductor to that piping? The house has no other metallic
piping and I mean none. If you do connect a conductor to that piping
what is the purpose of that conductor?
--
Tom H