Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower Valve: Low Hot Water Flow?

On Wed, 04 Sep 2019 20:24:30 -0700, croy
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 08:59:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

It is a Valley single handle shower valve. A similar Valley model (with possibly the same internals) is shown at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caZnXs42Zo4 .

How likely is it that replacing only the cartridge will fix the low hot water flow problem?

How likely is it that the entire assembly needs replacement (requiring soldering et cetera)?

Hot water flow in the two other faucets in the house (kitchen and bathroom basin) seems fine.

I once replaced a 20-year-old shower valve (Harcroft) for that same reason. Once the new valve
was in use and working well, I got the old one on the bench and found a rubber washer jammed in
the hot water circuit. If I could have seen that before ripping it out, I could have saved a
lot of $ and sweat!

99% of the time this is a stuck balancing valve and you can fix it by
replacing the cartridge. I have taken the cartridge apart and fixed
them but it is a pain in the ass and it might end up leaking
afterwards.