JH

Default Adding a wireless room thermostat

Hi,

I'm preparing to add a room stat to an existing gas central heating system
and need some help with the installation.

The current system consists of
o Boiler: Ideal Elan 2, conventional fan assist gas boiler
o All radiators have TRV's
o Timer is a Horstmann 527 (electronic 7 day, 3events/day, for independent
heating and water control)
o Based upon the FAQ, I believe the system is a Type C or S-plan
installation
o There a two motorised valves

I've taken a couple of photos of the controls to help (which are located
with the hot water tank - a bit unusual, oh well)
timer.jpg - http://www.jjh1.demon.co.uk/timer.jpg showing the timer
rest.jpg - http://www.jjh1.demon.co.uk/rest.jpg with all the other controls,
including a wire box with its cover off.

I'm planning on adding the Danfoss TP7000-RF + RX1 7 day wireless
programmable room thermostat.

The main unknown is how to wire the unit into the existing system. Logically
it appears straightforward i.e. simple wire AC power to the RX1 and then the
boiler off/on/com wires in series with the timer and that's it.

So to the questions

1. Any opinions, good or bad on the Danfoss TP7000-RF + RX1? I was thinking
of buying from http://www.rkm-heating-controls.co.uk/danfoss.htm , any other
places worth a try?

2. What is the correct way of wiring the receiver to the mains.
Do I simply add the live and neutral terminals in the existing wiring box
in the picture above (rest.jpg)?

3. I have no installation manuals for the boiler or existing timer unit so I
don't know which three wires are on/off/con for the heating.
What's the best way of deducing this information (I've got a Maplins
multimeter to hand)?
BTW - I've had the timer unit off the wall and it has the following
legend for each terminal on its back
Off C ON OFF C ON L N

4. Once I know which wires are on/off/c for the heating, how do I correctly
wire the unit in series with the timer?

Many thanks in advance

Jules