Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small Weights Scale

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 19:33:46 +0000 (UTC), Hul Tytus
wrote:

Harbor freight had a scale with a maximum of 1 lb/500 grams.
It read to 0.1 grams and was quite handy.
Their new version is nearly worthless, however. If you put
a cup on that scale & add a fluid slowly, the scale won't show
it! Programmer probably viewed slow changes as electrical noise.

Hul

It suffers from the boiled frog syndrome.

My tiny chiwanese 300g scale has a .01g accuracy and has seemed to
retain accuracy. It will react to small increases as I have tried it
with powdered (legal) herbs and spices when making Garam Masala.
Similar to this $6 Chiwan model on Ebay: https://tinyurl.com/yypqwc6v

Bob La Londe wrote:
I have three small digital scales, and they have a reasonable margin of
error down to around .25 ounces. Maybe even .125. at 1/8 oz I double
check across all three because sometimes one or another feels a little
"sticky". I can't really justify the cost of a high end lab scale for as
often as I need to weight smaller objects, but I sometimes do need to
weigh small objects. Today down to .015625. 1/64th of an ounce. Two
of my scales round to the hundredth, and most of the time that's "good
enough." On these they both read .02. That's a huge margin of error.
The third scale that gives resolution to the thousandth didn't even
register the object in normal mode. Not surprisingly it is the cheapest
of the three.

I'm looking for something I can keep in my desk when I am doing design
and reverse engineering work to verify those small weights.

Yes this is metalworking related.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.