Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Actual Woodworking Again

On 8/29/2019 4:43 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 16:09:01 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

About 3 months ago I posted some pictures of a plan to overhaul our
master closet. Builder grade has single shelves and hanger rods
totaling about 28 feet long. Unfortunately the shelves and rods crossed
each other in the corners and effectively making 10 feet hidden and
unusable. On top of that the highest shelf was 80" from the floor and
we have 9 foot tall ceilings in the closet. Read all of this as a lot
of wasted and unused space and was always a cluttered mess.

My design makes use of the tall ceilings and moves the hanger rods about
8 1/2 feet from the floor for half of the hanging space. In those spots
I used the wardrobe lifts to swing down to 3 feet for easy access.
Under those top rods are the mid rods and under that double height
drawers. In the middle back wall a place for the dirty clothes baskets,
linens, towels, and miscellaneous other stuff.
We have been using the closet with out the back cabinet for about 4
weeks and no clutter. I just added the back center storage cabinet in
the last few days and emptied most of the lower drawers into that cabinet.

FWIW we have much more storage and about 20% more "usable" hanger rod space.

SHMBO gets the long side, 14 feet of hanger space and 6 drawers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

The middle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

My side...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Efficient storage / closet = always a great idea ! nicely done.

ps : what is in the far left corner - floor air vent methinks ?

John T.

Thank you

No floor vents, just blank space. Why not fill the wardrobe to the
wall? There would have been no clearance for the drawers to clear the
center back cabinet. Same goes for the right side. We will certainly
find something to stick back in those corners, I'm, thinking small
shelves.