Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Ring or radial?

On 27/08/2019 23:41, Fredxx wrote:
On 27/08/2019 23:14, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/08/2019 22:53, Theo wrote:

snip

Also, Part P wise, am I right in thinking that extending a radial is
OK but
converting a radial to a ring is notifiable?

No. Adding a whole new circuit would be notifiable (if anyone actually
cared!) Extending one is ok, and arguably still ok if the extension
takes it back to the CU.

Are you certain,

Yes

not that I would worry, but isn't any change of (or
new) cable route notifiable. If you don't tell anyone ............

If the work were on a circuit in a special location, then changes other
that like for like swaps would be notifiable - and hence in that
situation an extension to a circuit could be notifiable. However in the
general case it has never been so.

(This was one of the original criticisms of the system - that is made
extensions to existing circuits easier to do than add new ones, even in
cases where a new circuit would be a better technical solution)

Or have the rules changed?

There have been various changes to part P over the years (the most
recent ones being the most significant by removing many previously
notifiable activities from the list, and providing for the first time a
route to third party certification). However I can't immediately think
of changes on this bit. The current wording in the 2013 version[1] is:

"12.€”(6A) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to
which Part P of Schedule I imposes a requirement is required to give a
building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of€”
(a) the installation of a new circuit;
(b) the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c) any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location."

[1]
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...ctrical_safety

(and kitchens are no longer special locations)

Finally, is it acceptable to cable-clip T&E cables (bearing in mind
the new
rule to use metal clips occasionally) in an outbuilding, or is
additional
protection (trunking) needed (even at ceiling level)?

Depends on what you are doing in there, and what the likely risk of
mechanical damage is.

It's more down to what would happen to the cable if the clips melted.
Some form of retention over a doorway would be appropriate to stop it
sagging and blocking an exit.

I think we are talking at crossed purposes.

Adequate cable support is required in all cases. However enclosing it in
conduit for example is not necessarily required (and if the conduit is
plastic, would not alone meet the requirements for retaining cables in
the event of a fire).

So for example - surface run cables in a garage where all that is needed
is somewhere to plug in an inspection lamp or battery charger, are not
going to require additional mechanical protection. However in a garage
used as a workshop where materials are handled and moved about, or say
welding is done, then some mechanical protection would be advised to
protect the cables from impact damage or contact with hot sparks / metal
splatter.

--
Cheers,

John.