Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Microchip cat flap

On Saturday, 24 August 2019 20:04:03 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 18:53:01 +0100, ARW
wrote:

snip

Gotta be better than taking them miles away and dumping them off as
the cat is likely to become the same problem somewhere else (to other
people).

The microchip would still give the same home address.

1) Assuming the cat owner ever bothered to have it chipped.

Well it;s not currently the law as it is with dogs but it would be a good idea if it became law. I'd like the same to apply to kids too.

2) Assuming it was handed in anywhere, rather than just 'adopted' as
most stray cats seem to be.

If they are adobted they aren't strays.

If you feed and offer shelter to a stray animal, are there any (legal)
obligations / requirement to have it check for a chip?

No, but it could be seen as theft, but there is alos those that atempt to remove such chips or put a new one in. Some animals do loose their chips as they can migrate through the body.

3) How many cat owners bother to update the registered information if
they pass their cat onto someone else or it moves home elsewhere?

I did and most do if they officailly adopt a cat, but as cats can also adopt a new memebr of staff who isn't chipped and cats find it difficult report it when they wish to change staff.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I'll have to ask daughter if she checks for chips when she

The average person can't check for these chips you need a special scanner and these are only really avaible at vets and animal rescue centres.
SO if you see a dead animal it;s best just to report it to a vet.

shovels cats off the road and if she does, how many have them ... and
if they did,

What happens if you find a dead body can yuo ID them ?, a frienbd of mine found one such body near the Thamses about 25 years ago.

How many times to the police find bodies they can't ID.

if the chip survived the experience. The latter might be
good to learn, should a cat that wasn't under control cause an
accident and the 'owner' was to be traced and held responsible (as I
understand they can under certain circumstances).

That would make sense, but I don't know how yuo could tell whether it was the animals fault of not. You'd then have to have some idea of what happened.