Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Solar Panels Resilience

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 06:56:22 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, 26 August 2019 14:51:28 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
I was surprised to learn that the batteries weren't part
of that ballast (in the bilges etc) but were in the main accommodation
area as such?

Bilges tend to be wet and mucky places, not the ideal location for batteries.

True, but I was thinking there could be something in between?

The idea was that you have the basic ballast in the real bilges
(presumed fairly flat bottomed on yer average narrow boat) with an
allowance for the batteries, potentially an inner tray, sealed from
the bilge but still under the floor and vented directly to the outside
(you don't typically need much freeboard on the rivers and canals).

According to the handout, 'Ampere' carries a working capacity of 48kW
at 48V using 24 x 2V 'traction cells' that are 600mm deep (so may well
go quite a way into the bilges as it is)?

Luckily, I don't suppose the 1.6 tonnes of batteries would even be
noticed (weight wise anyway) in a 60+' narrow boat. ;-)

Cheers, T i m