Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Solar Panels Resilience

On 26/08/2019 14:07, Theo wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:
It was of course a nice sunny day - ideal for solar generation, and
both my next door neighbour and the house opposite have got panels.
Could they take advantage of the situation? No way. The bloody
things need electrical power to operate.

They can, if they have batteries and appropriate controls. If they don't
have batteries, they're at risk of a brownout or cut if the sun happens to
go behind a cloud at the wrong moment. That could be unfortunate for
equipment that isn't expecting intermittent power - and isn't uncommon in
our weather.

You can get controls that switch over the house to solar power, while
preventing making the inlet live and frying any technicians working on it,
but presumably your neighbours didn't invest in such things.

Theo

No standard PV insulation has off-grid enabled. They need to
rely on power from the network to generate the correct waveform
for starters (didn't we have this discussion with the recent
failures at a wind farm?), and also there is the safety aspect
so you don't electrocute someone working on the line.

This also begs the question, if the frequency dropped below
48.whatever, shouldn't thousands of domestic PV systems say,
ooops, don't like this, and shut down too?.