Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Solar Panels Resilience

On 26/08/2019 13:24, AnthonyL wrote:
The incoming power to our section of road failed at 3am Sunday and it
was 2.35pm (yes, just below the compensation threshold of £150) when
it was restored.

It was of course a nice sunny day - ideal for solar generation, and
both my next door neighbour and the house opposite have got panels.
Could they take advantage of the situation? No way. The bloody
things need electrical power to operate.

Not even a cup of tea. Or more seriously the woman at the house
opposite is bed bound and needs a bit of power to change the position
of the bed.

They could have but they need some extra kit.

One thing they must not do is power the network if its dead, doing so
could get a worker trying to fix it killed.

It wouldn't be difficult to have an inverter and some batteries
connected so the panels would still operate without the mains but you
would also require some sort of switch to ensure you didn't power the
network.

In most cases it isn't worth the cost.