Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Uninterruptible power supplies

T i m wrote:

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 14:50:32 +0100, Scott
wrote:

snip

As an aside, could a power cut ever damage a modern computer (say if
you happened to be installing an update or defragmenting a disc when
it happened)?

Possibly, depending on how well it could recover automatically from
such etc, but depending on how the power is cut / re-connected, might
damage the electronics themselves.

Therefore, having a UPS between the supply and your electronics, may
act as a buffer / filter or the UPS could act as a sacrificial link.

I looked after a small office as a favour for a friend (because I
enjoyed / missed it) and I covered his PC's and servers with a
spattering of UPS's and the APCUPSD utility.

I need to look into that (and NUT?) to cover several boxes (RPi / PC's
running OMV NAS software) and possibly the Synology box, as only one
can be physically plugged into the UPS at a time?

Cheers, T i m

I think anything that can run apcupsd can be networked easily to the box
controlling the UPS. Remakably painless. It's only worth using NUT
(which can allegedly follow an apcupsd server) if there's something like
a NAS you can't install apcupsd on. NUT is less painless.

--

Roger Hayter