Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Stolen motorhome

Steve H wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Oddly, it seems this £50 grand vehicle didn't come with an alarm system
fitted. Unlike every car I've owned in the last 30 years. It was parked
close enough for the alarm to have been heard.

Our campervan doesn't have an alarm - it may only be worth £15k or so
today, but the list price of a new equivalent is well over £60k in Japan
today. It only has a transponder immobiliser, no alarm.

If new, I would expect most insurance companies to expect you to have an
alarm fitted. Some makes are
considered more vulnerable and extra precautions are required. 70k seems to
be the trigger point for a tracker unless the base vehicle or, if an A
class, the locks etc are considered to be a better class. 80k and I would
be surprised if a tracker wasnt expected.

Many people have additional locks fitted to the habitation doors.
Habitation doors vary, the better ones have multi-point locks. The poorer
ones have a simple lock near the centre.