Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Uninterruptible power supplies

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 14:50:32 +0100, Scott
wrote:

snip

As an aside, could a power cut ever damage a modern computer (say if
you happened to be installing an update or defragmenting a disc when
it happened)?

Possibly, depending on how well it could recover automatically from
such etc, but depending on how the power is cut / re-connected, might
damage the electronics themselves.

Therefore, having a UPS between the supply and your electronics, may
act as a buffer / filter or the UPS could act as a sacrificial link.

I looked after a small office as a favour for a friend (because I
enjoyed / missed it) and I covered his PC's and servers with a
spattering of UPS's and the APCUPSD utility.

I need to look into that (and NUT?) to cover several boxes (RPi / PC's
running OMV NAS software) and possibly the Synology box, as only one
can be physically plugged into the UPS at a time?

Cheers, T i m