Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Is this CU right

On 26/08/2019 10:25, Robin wrote:
On 26/08/2019 09:27, ARW wrote:
On 25/08/2019 23:24, Robin wrote:
On 25/08/2019 23:08, Robin wrote:
On 25/08/2019 21:50, wrote:
On Sunday, 25 August 2019 19:59:32 UTC+1, ARWÂ* wrote:
A load of ******** here for you to read and forget
https://professional-electrician.com...d-as-standard/

"a relatively low-priced and widely available safety item"

low priced??

And isn't there a bit of a fire risk having something that goes
pftttt in a consumer unit? In the top photo it's wired across the
main switch and not even fused down

like many (most?) such it comes built in fuses so needs no
additional overcurrent protection.

ahem...except on (still not sober) reflection & checking that seems
to be one that does require external overcurrent protection

Type 1 and 2 SPDs are fitted at the origin and need no further
overcurrent protection.

That's me back in my rest state - i.e. confused

I'd got it in my head that SPDs needed overcurrent protection that
discriminates from the main fuse.Â* From my doodles on a possible new CU
I seem to have got that from the page 49 of the BEAMA guide - but I see
that is only "should", not "must".

http://www.beama.org.uk/asset/1FE338...7F3DEA6C683C6/

It seems some of them do require MCB protection.

--
Adam