Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replaced ignition cylinder

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 20:24:11 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Yep - fur shur - but that doesn't explain why the
old Saturn and the Jetta have this problem - but -
our 4 Taurus and the Olds and F100 and Kia didn't ..
... same drivers .. etc.
The Saturns were famous - you could start it up and
pull out the key while it was still running ..

At one time you could pull the key out of seveal cars with it running.
Dad had a 1950 Chevy that you could pull the key out with the switch in
one position and then turn the switch on and you had to push a buttonon
the dash to start it.. Now you have to hav a FOB to do about the same
thing.

The mid 50s GM had a lock and an unlocked position on the ignition.
(My dad's 56 Chevy) It was lock, unlocked and start. You could pull
the key out in the unlocked position and run the car normally without
a key. The government or the insurance companies made that go away.
Late 60's Chryslers had a hole in the lock cylinder you could stick a
paper clip in and pull the cylinder with it locked. Then anything
would turn the doodad inside. When my buddy lost the key to his 68 van
at the beach, I popped the cylinder, knocked all the wafers out and
reinstalled it. Any key would work after that.