Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Uninterruptible power supplies

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
On 25/08/2019 14:50, Scott wrote:

As an aside, could a power cut ever damage a modern computer (say if
you happened to be installing an update or defragmenting a disc when
it happened)?

Yes but so could a hardware fault or a software crash.
This is why you need a good data backup system.
It will allow you to recover from a corrupted disk caused by anything.

Also UPS systems fail too.

in the mid 1990s I was working in a building which sat astride the Great
Weatern Railway and was a terminus for one of the London Underground lines.
One weekend, We were warned that there would be work on our electrical
supply so all computer equipment should be turned off. OUr IT people said
"don't worry about that we have UPS". On the Monday morning it was found
that every UPS had blown up because of over voltage. It was well after 2pm
that my computer came back to life.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England