Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CRT question

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 11:05:53 -0700, wrote:

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 10:37:07 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

SNIP
Yeah Jeff, it really is a kit. Here's the link:
http://oscilloscopeclocknixiecrt.com/Kit.htm

The video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ro4a65wk8
It looks ok. No astigmatism, but plenty of smear (hummm?) on the
digits. However, the photos on the home page:
http://oscilloscopeclocknixiecrt.com
and Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/167965918/oscilloscope-clock-or-scope-clock-made
look much sharper.

Which CRT tube are you using? The data sheet on the Russian CRT is
not very useful:
http://oscilloscopeclocknixiecrt.com/OSC42/6Lo1_specs.jpg

There should be some test points on the PCB with Vert, Horiz, and Sync
signals. Connect these to an oscilloscope and reproduce the display.
My guess(tm) is that it will either be perfect, which simply validates
that you assembled most of the PCB correctly, or full of hum or
oscillations, which suggest a circuit problem.

The aforementioned test won't do anything for testing the hi-v and CRT
circuitry. However, there may be additional test points or inputs
that can directly drive the vertical and horizontal amplifiers. This
doesn't really prove anything or eliminate any possibilities, but it
might be interesting to try.

I wish I had traced out the circuit before I populated the board. But
it's double sided and now really hard to see where traces go when they
hide under components.

I like to shine a flashlight from the circuit side so that I can see
the traces. However, you're right that it would have been easier to
do with a bare PCB. Maybe you can convince the seller to send you a
photo or paper copy of the PCB? Here's a useless out of focus photo
of the component side:
http://oscilloscopeclocknixiecrt.com/OSC42/HVJumper.JPG

--
Jeff Liebermann