Posted to alt.home.repair
Hawk Hawk is offline

Default Stair Tread Support

I am removing the treads from my basement stairs, which are the typical
basement 2x10s at 36" width and carpeted. I will be replacing the 2x10s
with 1" Red Oak. The 2x10s are recessed in the stringers for support on
each side and no other support. I will be adding a skirtboard to cover
the stringers, covering the risers with 1/4" oak plywood then inserting
the 1" oak treads. I will use support brackets on each end of the
treads, but my concern is support along the treads. If I only use the
brackets on the side, will the treads be spongy/bouncy in the middle and
eventually warp over time. Should I use support along the back of the
treads and if so, what are suggestions? 34" angle brackets? Or would it
be better to add 1/2" to 1" support board under the oak treads, though
the only problem with that is the treads have a rounded nosing and the
support boards would be visible? Suggestions?