Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default circular saw number of teeth

On 25/08/2019 13:03, sm_jamieson wrote:

I have a Royobi EWS1150RS circular saw that came with a 170mm 12
tooth blade.

Its a common style of blade tom come with a saw of that type.

I need to cut down a chipboard kitchen carcass - soft material but
needs a clean cut on one side (other side will be covered by end
panels, etc).

My instinct is "12 teeth !", now go and look for another finer tooth
blade (say 40 or more).

The included blade is this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-CSB17.../dp/B00CMPWPL8

It says good for cutting laminate chipboard, etc. So will this blade
be OK ? Are my insticts about number of teeth wrong due to the speed
?

Depends on what you mean by ok! Yes it will cut pretty much anything
quickly, and will rip and crosscut (hence why you get one with the saw),
but that does not mean it will make a neat job of it.

More teeth will give a slower smoother cut with less chip out.

Having said that there are things you can do you get a decent cut from
even fairly coarse toothed blades:

Cut from the underside (chip out tends to happen where the teeth exit
the wood).

Use a sawboard [1] the board protects the top surface of the side it
covers.

Do a scoring cut [2]

[1] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Sawboard

[2] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...saw_techniques