Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Microchip cat flap

On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 21:01:28 +0100, charles
wrote:

snip

The cat owners may be otherwise socially responsible people, except
when it comes to (their) cats it seems ... ?

I think the point is that cats are not 'owned'.

Well they are (legally), just that the owners don't have to be as
responsible as most other pet owners have to be.

They come and go as the
please.

Not all. Some are 'house cats' and as long as they are happy that's
fine (preferred solution by most gardeners quite probably). Others may
go into their own garden but rarely roam any further.

The ones who become such a nuisance to others is those who just use
their owners house for food and / or shelter. Those aren't 'companion
animals' by the accepted use of the phrase, in the same way a hedgehog
or tortoise generally isn't.

The pigeon I rescued and befriended did actually like my attention /
company and would go round with me locally (often sat on my shoulder
like a pirates parrot). ;-)

When we went on a family holiday and I had to leave it at home (it was
flying again by then). On our return I was told it came looking for me
in the regular local places. I'm not sure many cats would even do
that. ;-)

Cheers, T i m