Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Marking hex bits to make it easier to find the right one - anyone?

On Thursday, 22 August 2019 22:48:30 UTC+1, NY wrote:

Yes I've found by a bit of Googling that in the Bad Boys mnemonics, it's
normally "rape" rather than "ring" ;-)

It had never occurred to me (and I feel a right pillock that it's taken me
nearly 50 years for it to dawn on me) that the order of the colours for
resistors was the same as the order in a spectrum (which I remember as
Richard Of York Gained Battles In Vain) but with black, brown and grey,
white either side of that.

Talking of mnemonics, how about this one for getting spelling of a certain
difficult word correct: Died In A Rolls Royce Having Over-Eaten Again. I
think it was either Gervase Phinn or Jack Sheffield who mentioned it in one
of his books about things that little children say: allegedly one of his
pupils had invented that mnemonic. In the US, the spelling is different so
it would just be Having Eaten Again.

ah, 'dire rear'.

NT