Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Marking hex bits to make it easier to find the right one -anyone?

On 22/08/2019 22:48, NY wrote:
wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 August 2019 17:34:35 UTC+1, NYÂ* wrote:
"Chris Green" wrote in message

Does anyone think it would be useful to mark hex bits somehow to make
it easier to find the right one?Â* In particular a way to find the PZ2
that one always wants would be very handy.

Is there any sort of standard colour coding (I've found a few sets
advertised with colour coding but I can't see any sort of
consistency).

I was just thinking of marking my PZ bits with a black stripe for PZ0,
brown for PZ1, red for PZ2 and orange for PZ3.Â* (Think resistor colour
codes, they're embedded in my brain so easy for me).

I remember the mnemonic Bye Bye Rosie On You Go Birmingham By Great
Western
(or Buy Better Resistors Or Your Grid Bias May Go West - Mauve rather
than
Violet). There's also Bad Boys Ring Our Young Girls But Vicky Goes
Without
or Bad Boys Ring Our Young Girls But Vicky Gives Willingly (anyone know
Vicky's phone number?)

The difficult part is remember which way the Black and Brown go in the
mnemonic!

Black being zero is easy, as no colour.

very pc compared to the usual mnemonic

Yes I've found by a bit of Googling that in the Bad Boys mnemonics, it's
normally "rape" rather than "ring" ;-)

Yes, 'ring' makes no sense at all.

Needless to say, a few years ago, a teacher 'got into trouble' over the
mnemonic.

It had never occurred to me (and I feel a right pillock that it's taken
me nearly 50 years for it to dawn on me) that the order of the colours
for resistors was the same as the order in a spectrum (which I remember
as Richard Of York Gained Battles In Vain) but with black, brown and
grey, white either side of that.

Yes, I realised the spectrum connection, and have never needed a
mnemonic for that - orange looks like it is between red and yellow (as
well as possessing 'oranginess'), &c.

I wonder whether people who work with colour a lot, like artists and
designers 'see' more distinct colours than the six that most (non
colour-blind) 'see', or only if they have extra words for the colours
(like teal and indigo).

At school, when we were doing the spectrum, a colour-blind boy said he
could only see three colours. I think the teacher told him to shut up.

--
Max Demian