Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mystery metal grains? Cobalt?

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 10:25:47 PM UTC-4, Carl wrote:
"Ignoramus16448" wrote in message

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...

Pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...tery-metal.jpg

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.

Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?

You really need to splurge and treat yourself to one of those handheld x-ray
fluorescence machines. No more guessing on mystery alloys or things like
these beads. You could even do analyses for scrapyards and pay it off even
sooner :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

The hand held xrf machines cost about as much as a economy car. And the local scrap yard has one already. But if you send me one of the buttons I will try talking one of the guys into scanning it.

Dan