Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Best way to add an outlet to a yard lamp?

On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 1:39:33 PM UTC-4, Peter wrote:
On 8/22/2019 12:44 PM, JBB wrote:
replying to Pinninvest, JBB wrote:
Here's the best I've found so far.Â* Still hunting.Â* Not sure if the
black one
fits a 3" post. I am considering buying an post extension and hacking it to
add the outlet but that could get messy. You would think these things
would be
more common.

https://www.loveitlighting.com/cgi-b...xtender-co.jpg

https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/l...RoCBKUQAvD_BwE

The National Electrical Code requires the use of ground fault circuit
interrupter (GFCI) outlets outdoors. Does the item you are considering
from mrosupply.com contain a GFCI? The listing doesn't explicitly say
so. Don't risk electrocution!

---

Maybe you mean the other supplier? Mrosupply is just an empty box,
you can put what you want in it. For either, you can also put the
GFCI anywhere upstream at the house or as a breaker in the panel.

Biggest issue I see is the light would have to be on for the outlet
to be energized, but that's probably fine, unless you want to power
something that's going to be on 24/7 or something.