Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Does anyone know what 'kind' of threads are on a typical portablegas can?

On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 10:34:04 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Frank... you are spot on. The new style "enviro-safe" caps literally burst gas into my mower due to the "safety" spring mechanism holding pressure until the can is inverted and forcing the gas out at high pressure... blasting spray and spillage out the to of the tank. I once got a face full of gas on a very hot day because I

forgot to release the pressure first. The old style allowed you to simply pour the gas... but apparently that was too logical and easy for the enlightened/woke crowd out there and had to be gutted and regulated.

Releasing the pressure BEFORE you tip the can completely solves that
problem, and saves almost all the gas that would have evaporated into
the atmosphere between uses.

I have one of the newer cans and spill more gas out if it than I ever
did with the older ones.

I was going to put a spout off an older can on the new version. They
are the same diameter,but they use corse threads on the new can and
finer threads on the older can.

Glad I still have two of the old, pre-EPA cans. I haven't had to use the
new ones, but I see lots of people reporting problems. This sounds like
where the EPA screwed us with the new carbs on small engines where you
can't adjust them. The tree huggers figure that we're all stupid and just
want to make our engines run rough and spew more emissions. So, they locked
them. Now when the engines run rough, spew more emissions and we can't turn
the simple screw to fix it. Thank you EPA. I had a Sears leaf blower,
I used it for ten years on half choke because of that.Ran better on half
than no choke, but I'm sure it was spewing more emissions than if i could
have turned that screw....