SQLit

Default Plastering advice

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm getting ready to plaster over two former doorways, and I'm looking
for any advice, suggestions, or things to avoid. The walls are 1910
wood lath and plaster, and I'm patching them with salvaged wood lath
to match. I've flipped the wood lath so the cleaner side is exposed.
On top of that I'm going to use a Structo-Lite basecoat, and then
Diamond brand veneer plaster, since the Structo-Lite says to use a
finish plaster containing lime.

My basic game plan: soak the wood lath the night before, spray the
lath with water before the basecoat, apply the basecoat 1/16"-3/32"
shy of the surrounding plaster, let the basecoat set but not dry (~2
hours at 65 F and 65% RH), apply the finish plaster, smooth with a 42"
darby to match the surrounding plaster.

How should I treat the joints between the old and new plaster? I'm
thinking of undercutting the old plaster a little. Any other
suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
Wayne

I sure would not spray the lath with water. Once the wall is sealed you will
have moisture in there and it will take a long time for it to find a way
out.

You might try a router and chamfer the edge, 45 degrees. You will need a
large knife to make the joint go away. Not a job for me. I suck at taping.
Other wise sounds good to me.