Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Audio cassette to mp3

On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 17:48:16 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
On 20/08/2019 23:59, TimW wrote:
Learn mo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076PFJK..._IOhxDb00BE8TF
When I have an audio file I think I could remove a bit of hiss with
audacity or similar. Would that be 'job done'?
TW

More or less. Depends how bad the wow and flutter on the deck is.

Line out to the microphone input of the PC (possibly with a simple
resistive attenuator) or line in on a video card ought to do it.

There's actually some smart stuff you could do with a USB cassette deck.
For instance, measure the tape/motor speed and compensate the audio
sampling for variations.

you'd need to measure the tape speed. How would you do that? Motor speed does not equal tape speed.

Record multiple signals across the tape head and
pick the strongest one.

I'm not seeing any upside, you'd just get more hiss. But that approach is used for automatic azimuth alignment.

Capture both sides of the tape at the same time.

The £20 deck probably doesn't do anything like this, though.

Theo

And why not do half width tracks too, so your C90 becomes a C180. With decent tape that's entirely workable. If tape were still the medium of choice maybe that's what we'd be using now.

The best cassette deck feature I've seen is computerised noise reduction. Wipes out hiss more or less totally. The decks are of course unobtanium.

NT