Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Audio cassette to mp3

On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 23:59:50 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
A half a dozen of old cassettes of speech need to be digitised for
archive purposes. I could maybe get the old hifi out of the cupboard and
the cassette deck might work. How do I then connect that to a PC? Could
use a windows or linux machine. Would that be better than a £20 usb
cassette player from amazon?:
Learn mo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076PFJK..._IOhxDb00BE8TF
When I have an audio file I think I could remove a bit of hiss with
audacity or similar. Would that be 'job done'?
TW

Stay well away from the £20 player. Modern stuff like that is invariably junk.

Line out from hifi goes to line in on pc. Microphone in may work, but will need attentuation setting on the sound.

Align the cassette head for each tape. Easily done, not doing it often results in much worse quality. If it sounds acceptable on the hifi you can skip this step if you wish. Realign the head afterwards.

Record using audacity or similar. Postprocess it with the 1000 band noise gate to eliminate hiss. Tweak the frequency response as desired. Export to mp3. Modest bit rate mono is fine for speech - try samples to see.

NT