Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Kenyon John Kenyon is offline

Default Audio cassette to mp3

On 20/08/2019 23:59, TimW wrote:
A half a dozen of old cassettes of speech need to be digitised for
archive purposes. I could maybe get the old hifi out of the cupboard and
the cassette deck might work. How do I then connect that to a PC? Could
use a windows or linux machine. Would that be better than a £20 usb
cassette player from amazon?:
Learn mo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076PFJK..._IOhxDb00BE8TF
When I have an audio file I think I could remove a bit of hiss with
audacity or similar. Would that be 'job done'?
TW

2xRCA/phono plugs to 3.5mm stereo cable.

Plug phono plugs into tape deck output, no need for the amplifier(.

3.5mm plug into line input of PC sound card.

Then use audacity+LAME MP3 plug in to do the rest.

Life gets a bit more difficult if you have a laptop and don't have a
line level input.

*(the amp is only needed if ripping vinyl to MP3 and the turntable has
mag/ceramic cartridge level outputs rather than line level outputs. If
this happens, plug the turntable into the amplifier and feed the amp
tape outputs into the PC - so that the amp then does the cartridge
amplification/RIAA compensation for you)

If you don't have a line input on your PC look for a USB adaptor which
has line level inputs - hint: a "VCR to DVD USB converter adaptor" will
usually do the job.