Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default My electrician is coming Thurs to install an additional 100A subpanel, and

Arthur Conan Doyle writes:
wrote:

If it is his only bill, it might not be that bad. Mine is in the
$230/mo range but I don't get a gas bill, oil bill or a water bill.

Not sure how you substitute electricity for water - assume he means heating
water with propane or gas.

That said, unless you are generating your own electricity with turbines or
photovoltaic arrays (which have substantial capital costs),

Substantial? Perhaps a decade ago. My electric bill is now $10/month[*], and
the array will pay itself back in seven years; the investment in panels
returned 30% the first year (federal tax break) and will return 12.5% p.a.
for the next 25 years. Far more secure than any stock market investment.

I'll have fed over a megawatt-hour into the grid in the past year net
of my daily usage.
[*] The cost to remain connected to the grid. Most of that will be refunded
at the annual true-up, for a net electric cost approaching zero for the year.