Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default I don't think LED is the answer for this one

I remember once shooting in a large branch of Boots and the fluorescent
lights on the ceiling seemed to strobe in waves it was very weird at the
time. As I gradually lost my sight I started to notice this effect with my
eyes as well so it probably has to do with exposure etc.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"NY" wrote in message
"ARW" wrote in message
Swapping 1000W HQI fittings for 240W LEDs.

And any chance it could mess up any filming due to strobe effects?

Quite possibly. Philips Hue bulbs seem to be remarkably constant, and I
have a desk lamp with several banks of LEDs which is fine except on the
very dimmest setting when I imagine there is no overlap between one bank
and another. Not that I use them for filming, but being curious, I
investigated with my mobile phone, my compact camera and my SLR camera,
each on video setting.

A lot depends on the shutter speed that that camera uses for each frame.
Proper camcorders tend to default to the maximum exposure time (1/25
second) which gives smoother motion at the expense of blurred movement.
GoPro type cameras tend to use the shortest shutter speed that the light
level will allow, to give sharp frames in case you want to analyse frame
by frame, but this leads to disturbing artefacts on motion - eg aircraft
propellers that have disembodied blades. A short shutter speed is more
likely to give venetian blind type flickering with LEDs.