Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar Panel actual output over day/year versus theoretical output

On 20/08/2019 05:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.reuk.co.uk/wordpress/solar/solar-insolation/

What I *actually* want to know is the 'average over the year' *watts*
from a panel.Â* I could work it out backwards from the above

well it's not difficult e.g assume you live in cambridge, a 1kW panel
would give you 863kWh/year, so a 250W panel a quarter of that is
215kWh/year or 0.6kWh/day, an average 25W

Average insolation is indeed about 10% of peak.

It is certainly a good working ballpark figure. Though it can be worse
than that if a part of the array is ever shaded at any time in low sun.

I get emails enthusing about how Gridwatch shows how great solar power
is. And why is coal still on the BIG dial

They are never posted at midnight Or in te winter.

BTW Do you have demand and load graphs available with 1 minute
resolution (or better) over the period of the recent grid SNAFU 9/8
16:52-16:57 ? The ofgem report is well hidden online at:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/file...ry_-_final.pdf

Looks very much to me like the wind farm at Hornsea was the instigator
of the problem that National Grid encountered. 737MW dropped off 230ms
after the lightning strike shorted out blue phase. Barford dropped off
within a second (their timestamps so far are only good to the second).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown