Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default slowing down on a motorway

"NY" wrote in message
"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Monday, 19 August 2019 18:15:09 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
does anybody think that you should slow down on the inside lane of the
motorway before joining the off ramp?....if you do you are most
annoying....you should only slow down in the deceleration slip lane and
not
before....

It rather depends on what the traffic ahead is doing. Although these days
I rarely need to drive in a motorway, when I do, I often see traffic
stationary (or very slow) even on the carriageway simply because the
junction is clogged up. 'twould be folly not to slow down...

I think Jim was talking about those people on a freely-running motorway
with an empty slip road, who think that they need to brake to 40 in Lane 1
before moving onto the slip road. On a motorway with an *uphill* sliproad,
I usually come off the power as I am leaving Lane 1 and let gravity slow
me down, before starting to brake as I get closer to the roundabout. On a
*downhill* slip road, where gravity works against you, I start to brake as
I come off Lane 1.

That's assuming there is no other traffic on the slip road which may mean
having to slow down earlier or brake more.

yip...all the wummin drivers do it east bound at junction 26 on the M8
.....because they are heading for Primark and the Braehead shopping centre
.....and their heads are full of broken bottles .....