Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default how do I replace rotted bottom plate on my shed

On 8/19/2019 9:04 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/19/2019 7:28 AM, TimR wrote:

I did some googling. They say support the rafters with a cross
member and some studs, cut the studs to the sill plate wherever
they've rotted, dig out the old plate and insert a new one. It will
be a lot of work but I should be able to handle this.

Did a full half of the north side of the 38x66 two story barn (38 ft to
top of mow ridge) and the full west end -- a storage shed would be
"piece o'cake".
Use a long 4x4(*) against the rafters at the top plate and jack it up
(remember to take off the plate tiedown bolts first ).Â* Just pull out
the bad section of plate and replace it.Â* Depending upon how badly
rotted out it really is, cut any bad studs back to solid material, fit a
new piece in and add a cripple for support.Â* Set back down.

(*) Used a 6x8 beam for the barn, but it was much bigger/heavier
structure.Â* We lifted it in sections of about 12-16 ft at a time,
blocking behind us as we went.Â* For a shed, be able to do it all at once
if have more than one jack on hand.

BTW, make sure to cut the new stud lengths to match the original full
height--may have sagged some with the rotted material of both the plate
and the stud ends. There was as much as several inches missing on the
worst of the barn and the mow floor had to be raised back up by as much
as an inch--there was support from an interior wall siding and other
added columns that prevented the wall from just collapsing so wasn't
nearly as much as the actual missing material...75 years of serving as
the milking parlor area and the drainage along that wall had done it
quite some serious damage.