Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default how do I replace rotted bottom plate on my shed

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 8:54:23 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 8:28:38 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 12:21:14 AM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
On 8/17/2019 7:24 PM, TimR wrote:
I got my shed reroofed this summer. The roofer replaced some rotted sheathing on the roof and side. I don't do roofs, at my age my balance isn't reliable.

Now I see the bottom plate is rotted on a couple of sides. We had the rainiest fall in history, and I had a roof leak in that area.

What is the method to replace that? Or is there a work around? It looks like to replace it I'd have to jack the top plate, cut studs, and insert a new bottom? Or is there a better way? This is one I've never worked on.

When I did it in my 80 yo shop, I just jacked up the wall slightly with
a 4x4 spreading out the force over the stretch of wall, cut or pulled
the nails holding the studs to the baseboard, removed the baseboard and
replaced it with pressure treated wood, then nailed the studs to that..

I did some googling. They say support the rafters with a cross member and some studs, cut the studs to the sill plate wherever they've rotted, dig out the old plate and insert a new one. It will be a lot of work but I should be able to handle this.

Still missing is how rotted this is? A couple of spots? 10% or most of
it, 90%?

I didn't find any places where it didn't crumble. The shed is 12 by 20 but it's in two rooms, the original and an addition, so there's a 10 foot length of plate that's clearly bearing and a 12 foot on the gable end that is maybe not. There were a couple of studs and rafters that the roofer replaced or sistered in that section.