Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Looking for contactor - 12v coil, 40A 240v contacts?

In article ,
charles wrote:
Try a standard car relay? Costs a couple of quid. See if it survives.
Obviously, take safety precautions in case it doesn't. But assuming it
is in a suitable housing for safety purposes, chances are it will be
OK.

I'd be dubious about puttting mains voltage into a car relay. I'd be
unhappy about the insulation.

Really? Most have all the bits mounted on a plastic base. I'd be surprised
if that wouldn't insulate 240v. Obviously it would be unsafe if not in a
suitable enclosure for mains. To protect the terminals etc from prying
fingers.

Where is the arc suppression built in on 12v car relays?