Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Commodore 1702 Monitor, Intermittent Display Issue

In article ,
says...

Apparently, some people think troubleshooting means wasting time
finding "that one part" while risking collateral damage to the thing
on the bench when the "there was more than one" suddenly fails.

The other reasons are equally fraudulent.
"My time is VERY important, I can't be arsed to replace something."
Or, "I saved $0.45 not replacing a part that hasn't failed yet."

I believe in replacing all the old parts if one has failed if the cost
or time benefits doing it.

At work we had a factory man in to repair a motor speed control. The
motor was 3 phase 480 volts at about 200 or 300 amps. The man found 2
bad power diodes. I asked him to replace the 3 rd one. He said they
were about $ 200 each. I told him it was costing us a few thousand
dollars for every hour the machine was down and lots of money to get him
in the plant. The $ 200 was just good insurance to me. That diode was
probably ok, but I was not going to chance it failing in a day or month
later.

I only work on my own equipment now and if I find one bad part and there
are several more like it of the same age (on very old equipment
especially) I usually replace them all if not too expensive.

I started playing around with the old Heathkit transceivers a year or
two ago. Found out that many times the 1/2 watt resistors have changed
values. While I do not take time to replace all of them like I should,
I do spend time checking every one and replacing the ones that are
slightly or on the edge of the tollorance. If I was doing the repair
for money, I would replace every one of them in the 50 year old
equipment.