Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Used Granite

On 19/08/2019 07:28, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 23:27:48 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 18/08/2019 22:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 21:30:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 18/08/2019 21:08, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 16/08/2019 12:02, wrote:
Indeed.Â* However, many "granite" worktops are not made of granite
but some other rock which often is absorbent.

Granite worktops I could believe. There are some damn great big
lumps of
granite about. But one company tried to sell us a quartz worktop...
which I don't believe.

quartz is great, I've got a bathroom kitted out in quartz tiles

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%.../Bathroom3.jpg

The kitchen has stippled surface jet black sold granite

http://www.larksrise.com/Project%20P...n/XCD_0004.JPG

http://www.larksrise.com/Project%20P...n/XCD_0006.JPG

Very nice. But "granite", not granite. Granites are light coloured -
grey or pink, even red. But not black. Probably basalt or gabbro.

Basalt. Definitely not gabbro.

Really?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabbro#Uses

"It is also used in kitchens and their countertops, also under the
misnomer of 'black granite'"

Basalt and gabbro have the same chemistry. Both are alkaline igneous
rocks. They differ in their mode of formation. Basalt is a lava,
ejected out of a volcano or ocean-floor fissure. It cools quickly and
as a consequence is fine-grained. Gabbro is the same stuff but cooled
slowly, deep in the earth's crust. Hence it is coarse-grained, as the
different minerals within it have time to grow into sizeable crystals.
TNP's work-tops look fine-grained, hence basalt.

I no longer care what they are. They withstand almost anything and are
bomb proof and I like em

Never been sealed :-)

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain