Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 14:32:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

The second failure was a WD Red, obviously something wrong because of
the quick failure. Some of my early drives are still in there, and they
are WD Blue, but most are now Red ones.

It will be interesting to hear how they fair over time.

Some are up top over 50,000 hours (the Red ones).

Sure. Do I remember correctly that some drives / controllers could
actually ensure all spindles in an array were kept in sync?

I would imagine so, as some RAID requires that (I think).

Also running one Windows machine with a mirrored pair - using the
standard Windows mirroring.

Ok. OOI, how many have ever failed in use and how well did they handle
the failure (did they just 'carry on as hoped / expected')?

Two. Carried on as they should and emailed me the details.

How do you back that lot up or are some backups of the others?

Some back up others (on different floors of the house). Some to DVD
(using heavy ECC, see below). Important stuff goes offsite in storage (10
miles away) and also on http://tarsnap.com

DVD ECC is via dvdisaster. I did a test; wrote a DVD with ECC then used a
Swiss Army knife to make random cuts and scrapes (took enough away that
you could see through it). It was recovered perfectly.